Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Did you hear the old gospel choir?

Now that summer is in full swing, hopefully I'll be able to post more, both about some more desert island disc picks and maybe some reviews of music that I have found so far this year. I'll start with two things: 1) 2008 albums I missed in my year end list and 2) early favorites of 2009.

On #1:
I became a late comer to a few albums that I subsequently came to appreciate a lot. First, The Gaslight Anthem's record The '59 Sound is a great album, especially if you like the Boss, the Killers, and some straightforward rock n' roll. Another is Balmorhea's Rivers Arms, which is instrumental, neo-classical music that I find wonderful music to play when writing. The following get a solid honorable mention:
Army Navy - Army Navy
The Clientele - That Night, A Forest Grew EP
Dr. Dog - Fate
Marching Band - Spark Large
Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
Rosebuds - Life Like
She & Him - Volume One
Titus Andronicus - The Airing of Grievances
Tobacco - Fucked Up Friends
Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna

Next post: Number 2

No comments: